Monday, July 9, 2007

Mothers Make Natural Project Managers: Part 2

I called Mom some years ago when I felt an urge to leave my IBM cocoon and told her that Cisco, a company down the road, offered me a job (when they were just starting up). I could continue to work on a big blue crappy 6611 router or jump ship and work for high flying Cisco. The call went like this:

Me: “Mom, this cool fast growing company called Cisco offered me a great job with stock options. Should I take it?”
Mom: “What does Cisco do?”
Me: “They make routers.”
Mom: “You should take the job. You’ve always been good with wood.”

It really wouldn’t matter what Cisco did. If they had made shortening, my Mom would have said, “You’ve always enjoyed good food.”

Mothers are exceptional leaders because they want you feel good about the decisions you make. They also tell you that you can do anything. And believe it.

No comments: